Monday, February 20, 2017

How I Control My Curly Hair

As a woman with curly hair, I have always struggled trying to control my frizzy curls. For years, I have asked almost every curly haired person what she uses on her hair. No matter what I tried, I could never find something that worked for me. After years of trying different routines, I have finally found a routine that works for me! I hope that these tips will help you!



First, I only wash my hair with shampoo 2 or 3 times a month. Instead, I now use cleansing conditioner. I really did not like the idea of not using shampoo, as I felt that my hair wouldn't be clean. I was worried for nothing though, as my hair has never felt better!

I never brush or comb my hair when it is dry (I actually don't even own a hair brush). Instead I keep a wide tooth comb in the shower and comb the cleansing conditioner through it. I make sure that I put the cleansing conditioner in my hair first thing. That way my hair has time to soak up the moisture.

I have learned that every minute I wait to dry my hair, the more frizz I get. So, as soon as I get out of the shower I dry my hair with a 100% cotton t-shirt. I have found that a t-shirt works so much better than a towel with controlling frizz.


I then put in leave in conditioner, curl defining cream, and mousse. The best products I have found are pictured below. I have always hated spending a lot of money on my hair, and I have found that the Renpure products and Suave are some of my favorites. The Renpure Coconut Creme Cowash, Coconut Whipped Creme Leave-in Conditioner, and the Coconut Creme Curl Defining Creme are all around $6 or $7. The Suave Flexible Control Curl Mousse is under $4.


I let my hair air dry and I'm done! It's a super quick process, and I love how my curls turn out! Every once in a while I will get the Pravana Smoothing Treatment done at the salon. It is supposed to last 8 to 12 weeks, but I feel like it lasts so much longer. After the first time I noticed a big difference, so I only get it done once or twice a year.

After hating my curly hair for years, I finally have learned to love them! I hope that you can learn to embrace your curls and rock that gorgeous hair!

Post a Comment