Sunday, July 5, 2015

Food Prep - What to prep in 20 minutes or less

I often get asked what I prep for my food prep for the week. It can be confusing and time consuming. So, what do you prep when you are short on time? Breakfast, lunch, and snacks should all be prepped for the next 3 days to set you up for success. So, if you are short on time, what can you do? Here are some quick food prep options:

Hard boiled eggs - These take 20 minutes or less and it is easy clean up. The best part is, you don't have to spend the 20 minutes cooking. You can spend the 20 minutes prepping the rest of your snacks/meals. I personally use these as a snack, but these can be utilized as a breakfast or as part of your lunch.

Veggies and hummus - buy veggies that you don't need to cut. I buy baby carrots, mushrooms, and grape tomatoes. I can just grab these and dip them in some hummus. If you want more variety, you can get the mix at Sam's Club or Costco that has cut broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots. No need to cut, just put the veggies and hummus in serving size containers.

Salad - Buy organic spring mix from Sam's Club or Aldi, some spinach, and some cherry/grape tomatoes. The spring mix and spinach is normally pre-washed, so you would only have to wash the tomatoes. I normally just throw it in a bowl to make a salad. If you have an egg slicer, you can use some of the hard boiled eggs to add some protein to the salad. Another easy thing to add to salads is tuna fish. All you need to do is open the can and add it to the salad.

Fruit and Cottage Cheese/Greek Yogurt - Blueberries and blackberries are options that don't need cut that you can add to either cottage cheese or greek yogurt. Another good thing to keep on hand is frozen fruit. I usually have frozen sliced strawberries. If I take them out in the morning, they are thawed by lunch time.

Personally, I drink Shakeology every morning for breakfast. That guarantees that I always have a healthy meal that I never have to prep!

Even if you don't prep your food for dinner, at least PLAN what you are going to make at least 1 day in advance. That way you know all of the ingredients that you need for the next day. If you are in a pinch for dinner, my go to is baked chicken, brown rice, and either salad or a frozen vegetable.

I hope you find these tips helpful when you are prepping your meals for the week. Remember, if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail!








Post a Comment