Thursday, March 5, 2015

Curly Hair Tips for the Clueless

Do any of you curly-haired people feel like you read all these tips on how to make your hair look great, but have no idea which ones to use? I look at pictures of people's hair and always try to figure out what type of hair I have. Is it 3 A, B, or C. I have looked at multiple pictures and still have no idea what type of hair I have. However, I have finally found some products that work for me, and maybe they will work for you too.

One of the first things that I recommend doing is asking anyone with curly hair what products that she uses. Even to this day, I still ask people with amazing curls what they use on their hair. One caution though is to make sure you ask if they have dry hair or oily. Many products will only work with one type of hair or the other. I personally have super dry, frizzy, curly hair - thanks to my 100% Italian grandmother.

Here are some things that have worked for me:


  • I use a t-shirt to dry my hair instead of a towel. I really thought this was insane at first, but it really keeps down on the frizz. I also make sure that I add my products immediately. I do not allow time for my hair to dry, because all it will do is start to frizz.
  • Shampoo and Conditioner: I actually only wash my hair once a week. I use Loreal Paris Evercurl Shampoo and Conditioner. It's sulfate free. The other 6 days of the week, I use Asiam Coconut Cowash. It works as a shampoo and conditioner.
  • Products: The best products that I have found are: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie (about $10.99) - do not use too much or your hair will be greasy. The best mousse I have ever found is actually Suave Flexible Control (less than $4). Then I top it off with the Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier Hairspray ($5-$6)
  • For special occasions, I use a curling iron to curl a few pieces. It really eliminates the frizz and takes less than 10 minutes. Find a barrel size that is close to your curls and the rest of your hair blends in with the pieces that you curled.
  • If none of these things work for you, I highly recommend the Pravana Smoothing Treatment. It is similar to the Brazilian Blowout, but it is not as harmful and actually allows you to wear your hair curly. It just smooths out the frizz...this is AMAZING, but I am just not reliable to actually go to get it done every 6-8 weeks. 
If you have curly hair, I feel that you will always be searching for the next thing to make your hair frizz free. Hopefully some of these products will work for you too!

Below is my hair using the Asiam Cowash, the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Suave Flexible Control Mousse, and the Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier Hairspray.


Post a Comment