Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Easy Chicken Bowl Recipe - Think Chipotle, but healthier!

I don't know about you, but I love Chipotle chicken bowls. However, with all the things that you can add to it, it can become an unhealthy option very quickly. So, I decided to make my own, and I have to say it was amazing.

There are two steps to the recipe.

The first step is salsa chicken in your crock pot:

Ingredients:
8 Chicken Thighs - I used bone in but removed the skin
1 3/4 cups salsa
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup cilantro

Add the chicken thighs with salt and pepper into the crock pot. Then add the salsa, the garlic powder, 3/4 tsp cumin, and the 1/4 cup cilantro. Cook on low for 4 hours. Remove the chicken and put on a plate. Add the last 1/4 tsp of cumin to the liquid mixture, save 1 cup of the mixture and discard the rest. Shred the chicken and then add the 1 cup mixture back on top of the chicken. I cooked this the night before so I put it in a plastic container and heated it up in a sauce pan the next day. You can always just add it back to the crock pot and cook. It makes about 8 servings.

The next step is actually making the bowl. I added lettuce, the chicken mixture, a little bit of salsa, some cheese, so avocado, and some plain Greek yogurt (this is a great healthy substitute of sour cream), and some brown rice.

Super easy and 21 day fix approved. This equals:

Red - 1 1/4
Green - 1 1/2
Blue - 1/2





Post a Comment